Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Who says it rains all the time?

It's only rained one time since I've been here. And the five day forecast says sun and temperatures in the high forties. I think I was fed a lie my whole life that it rains all the time in the UK, or I've just been really lucky! So besides the weather being great, other things have been too.

On Friday I had no classes, so I went to explore a little with two friends. We ended up at the Edinburgh Castle which was very, very impressive. We didn't actually take the tour because it was pretty expensive (I will eventually), but we still got to walk all the way up to it and have a look around the entrance. It's massive. And sits on top of a hill looking over the city. It was hard to believe that I was actually in a castle! Very cool. After that we had a great lunch at an Irish pub called Biddy Mulligans. I had a really good chile and we each tried an IRN BRU, a soda which apparently outsells Coke in Scotland. It was not my cup of tea shall we say. It's orange and ridiculously sweet. It tasted like a mix of a creamsicle and bubblegum. Later that night a big group of us went to a few pubs and didn't get back till the wee hours of the mornin' as they'd say here. It was a lot of fun.


Looking up on the castle!


Finally made it




Saturday was a pretty low key day that involved sleeping late, the gym, dinner, and then the exciting part of the day: a Ceilidh. Once again wikipedia will help me: a traditional Gaelic social gathering, which usually involves playing Gaelic folk music and dancing. That sums it up pretty well. It was hosted by the international student center, so we felt more comfortable not being the only ones in the room not knowing what was going on. I would describe it as Scottish square dancing. They had a live band playing folk music and one of the members was instructing us on the dance steps. It was actually a workout! Lots of skipping, running, jumping, etc as well as lots of people in kilts! Very fun night.


Our friend from the Ceildih... I promise he was happier than he looks

On Sunday Ken (only other person from Gordon!) and I went to a church of a girl who I had been in contact with called Charlotte Chapel. It was in the middle of the city on a side street. It was beautiful inside and really pretty old. It was packed with people when we got there, and it was awesome to be there. The best part was that afterwords there was a student lunch (there's one every Sunday) so there were about 40 or so students mostly from the University of Edinburgh there to hang out, do a Bible study, and eat. It was so nice to meet and hang out with "non Americans" since that's mostly who I've been with (which hasn't been a bad thing!)

Now the school week has started up and we will see what else comes my way in the next few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment